I need to vent, this whole breeding experience was supposed to be fun, but from the get go it has been a nightmare. It started when I won the breeding from the LMQHA auction, it took 3 weeks and a whole lot of emails to get the certificate, and then to also get an email from the person sending them out chastising me for not contacting her (I contacted the person I paid my money too as I did not know who was heading this committee). Then I contact the breeder and told them I have never done AI before and what do I need to know, this was after I read their contract very carefully on the website. It took two weeks to get an answer from the Breeder who congratulated me on winning the auction, but no info. So I then called our local horse vet and asked her if she does the AI and knows about it, and of course she said yes. 3 Ultra Sounds later and approximately $600, she tells me to call the breeder. So I do to have the semen shipped. The first thing she says do you have your Import Permit. This is the first time I am informed by these so called experts that I need an import permit. The breeder tells me that the Vet is supposed to do it and then contact her vet to have the semen inspected before shipping, but that she also has frozen semen at Westgen in Vancouver. So I go back to my Vet who has no clue about Import permits and says she will look into it and will not work with frozen semen at all. 1 week later I have not heard from her, but did my own investigation. I talked to a really great vet in Langley (Ray Wise) and he said that he can do the permit, but it takes about a month. Since I have already wasted a month with the Vet here, I did not want to wait, so he says that he will work with the frozen, but my mare has to come to his place. No problem, I have my original vet give a short cycle shot to Bella so we know exactly when she comes into her cycle and II ship my mare over. Contact the Breeder and tell her what my plans are and asked what ratio do they get babies from the frozen semen. She said about 40% but the semen is very good quality and has the required 500 million FPM. So now I am feeling a little more encouraged. I contact her to find out how I get the frozen semen from Westgen and she informs me that she made a mistake it is not at Westgen but at Trans Bio which is in Quebec. So, I call Trans Bio and they do not answer their phone, so I send an email, saying I need this semen shipped on Monday (this is Friday) what do I need to do. To their credit they did call me right away after receiving my email. So the semen is shipped, Ray Wise brings my mare into heat, (because the shot given here wasn’t done at the correct time and she was not in heat), and proceeds to breed her with the frozen semen. Which he then calls me to tell me it is extremely poor quality and she probably will not take. Sure enough, she did not take. So 2.5 weeks later we use the 2nd dose of frozen semen, Ray decides to do a “deep horn” breeding to try and get her pregnant, but said there was such little motility that doesn’t think this will take either. I am now up to about $4000.00 and my mare is still in Langley. So I decide I should apply for the Import Permit, and hopefully it will be in at the same time as we find out whether she is pregnant or not, and if she is not we can have shipped semen sent up. I needed the Registry number of the stallion so sent another email off to get that, as my PIN is not working to get into the AQHA site (another long story) and I cannot get it. Of course that was a few days ago and still have not heard back. So I sent the request for Import Permit off and hopefully will not need it. I will keep you posted as to whether or not I actually get a foal out of all this….. stay tuned.